Saturday, July 19, 2014

Why Do You Do What You Do?

As a personal trainer, I see many different scenarios and I've been blessed to be able to gather and learn from the experience of others.

One theme that I see consistent with all people who get great results in all aspects of life - be it business, fitness, ministry, whatever - is that of a strong "why." Why get fit? Why eat vegetables? Why go to work? Why do the work that you do? With a strong "why" comes strong resolve to finish the task.

The Gentleman from the YMCA

 

In any gym, there is always a core of dedicated people who you see at the same time and the same day every week. When I was working at a YMCA in Upstate New York, there was an older gentleman who would exercise about two hours everyday.

He would come in with sweats on and a lightweight t-shirt then hop on the treadmill to warm up for the coming workout. He'd then continue to go around the weight machine circuit as shown during the orientation. After about 30 minutes of weights, he'd come over with hair slicked back from sweat, to the desk where I was stationed. After a few minutes of chatting and discussing a plethura of topics from world events to his grandchildrens' birthday, he'd go back for about an hour to an hour and a half of cardio. He'd do 20 or 30 minutes on the stepper, then 20-30 minutes walking on the treadmill, and maybe some biking. He'd continue this everyday, resting from the weights every other day of course.

One day, I asked him, "what makes you so dedicated?" He very easily said something to the effect of, "I had heart surgery and this is what I need to do to stay alive for the kids and grand kids."

I've asked many people what makes them so dedicated and there is always a strong "why."
Some other "whys" that I've heard over the years are:
  • To stay alive
  • So I can play with my grandchildren
  • Because I don't want to get tired just going up a flight of stairs
  • Because I don't want to worry what people think when they look at me
  • I want to be comfortable in my own skin
  • I want to honor God and take care of the body He has given me
These are just a few examples. They may or may not be a "why" that you share but these are some of the reasons I've heard from the most dedicated people I've worked with.

As we learned in Start with Vision, not having a clear and tangible goal often causes people to stumble and ultimately stop persisting in their pursuit. Not having a strong, clearly stated "why" is also cause for waivering.

For every successful person in the Bible, there was a strong, God-given "why."
  • Moses was to lead God's people to freedom (Exodus 1-12)
  • Noah built the Ark because a flood was coming to "wipe the slat clean." (Genesis 6-9)
  • Jesus came to remove the barrier of sin from between us and God. (John 1:1-18 and the entire Bible)
Whatever your "why" is, that's between you and God.

To Do:

  • Get with God everyday this week to read, pray, and ask Him what He wants you to do and why.
  • Once He gives you a vision and a strong reason why, keep reminders around to keep the goal, vision, and reason why at the forefront of your mind. 

Love God, love people.

-Chris 

No comments:

Post a Comment