Monday, June 29, 2015

The Point of Peripety





Lately I have been in a wonderful Bible study on the book of Esther.  What an incredible story of how God is able to reverse our destiny!!  God is able to bring about a point of peripety in our lives to change our destiny.  Peripety is a literary term that means "a sudden turn of events that reverses the expected or intended outcome".  It is the hinge on which the reversal of an expected destiny turns.  For Esther, it appeared that her destiny was to be a poor, orphaned, Jewish girl in a foreign culture but instead she became the queen to the king of an awesome Persian empire.  Then it appeared that Esther and all her Jewish people were going to be murdered because of Haman's hatred for them (Haman was the king's 'right hand man').  But in one quick turn of events God swept Haman away and protected not only Esther and her cousin Mordecai but all the Jewish people.  I realize this is a very brief summary of an amazing story but here is the main thought that has been rolling around in my head: God can take my mourning and grieving and turn it into joy-it takes time and a submissive spirit before the Lord.  

If you are discouraged with the appearance of your body or with your inability to change your weight/appearance I want you to take heart!  You probably fear that you are destined to always be overweight or unattractive or underweight or ____________(you put in the concern).  God is able to take your frustration and discouragement and turn it into joy!  I must confess, I would be very joyful if God suddenly removed my own struggles with my weight overnight but God has such bigger gifts to give me.  My struggles on this earth can become "gifts" that God uses to draw me closer to Him and to make me more like Him.  Seek God with all your heart, rest before Him and trust Him even in the area of your weight struggles.  You may think that your destiny is to always be overweight, ugly, underweight, unattractive but God has much, much greater plans for you!  Ask the Lord to take your mourning and grieving in this area, or any area in your life, and turn it into joy.  Your destiny as a Christian has already been changed because of Christ's death on the cross.  If God can give us life then I know He can bring wonderful things out of our struggles each day.  You are already destined to be seated at the right hand of Christ in Glory!  Be not discouraged this day with your appearance, instead, ask God to turn your shortcomings into a tool that God can use for His glory!  Look expectantly for your point of peripety as you allow God complete control over your heart.




Love. More. Better.



Amy L. Stacy, MS, RD, CDE, CDN




No comments:

Post a Comment